Eszterházy palace in the centre of Fertőd. The magnificent Baroque castle, also known as ‘the Hungarian Versailles’, was built by Miklós Eszterházy the ‘Glorious’ between 1763 and 1766. He and his high-spirited wife, Countess Margit Cziráky, rebuilt the 20-room hunting lodge of József Eszterházy, transforming it into the family’s favourite residence. This was the golden age of the building, between 1768 and 1790. After the owner’s death, it lost its prominent role and it perished during World War II.